Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Rigorous Reading Comprehension

The textbook series that I use, Cambridge Latin Course, is all about reading comprehension questions. I like them, too, but quickly realized a danger in saying just "read this and answer these questions." So to beef things up a bit, I have my students provide a Latin quote from the passage to justify each answer. For example, the first few questions from Masada I, Stage 29, pages 157-158:
Three things: 1) The quote needs to be in Latin, mind you; it should not be an English translation because I'll know you know what it says if the quote lines up with the answer. 2) The habit of talking about line numbers is always good to develop. 3) The quotes should be short, not a whole paragraph or even a whole sentence; this avoids the "I know the answer is in there somewhere" stuff.

Download
Masada I Questions (.docx, 68KB)

1 comment:

  1. This is great, James. When I was out ill, I had students do the comprehension questions for a story like this, and required them to "cite the source" much in this way. I've also had them work in reverse, creating appropriate questions from sections of the text that I have provided them,

    ReplyDelete